Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

406 Posts in 243 Topics- by 80 Members - Latest Member: Jamila Patterson
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: On Azolla cultivation  (Read 16988 times)
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« on: February 27, 2007, 06:06:59 am »

Dear Telesupport Friends

we have recived the following question from Dr Jamila Patterson from Marine research institute (www.sdmri.org) of Tamil Nadu, India. May be our frinds in westbengal can answer how you have adopted this technique there.

Dear Ms. T.K Omana,
Director of RASTA

Greetings from Tamil Nadu. I am Dr.Jamila Patterson working in a Marine research institute (www.sdmri.org) of Tamil Nadu, India. In addition to our research work we are doing capacity building of fisher women. We train the fisher women on crab and lobster fattening and vermin compost . Now   I am training the fisherwomen on hygienic sun sun drying of fishes on keeping on fish drying racks.

Madam I have seen your vedio of Azola cultivation in the Telesupport web site. I understood it is very easy for growing the aquatic plant azola. Madam please advise me where the seedling of azola is available or how we collect the azola seedlings? I need your valuable suggestions to start azola cultivation for capacity building of poor women. I am eagerly looking forward to hear from you.

Warm regards

Jamila Patterson

Dear Jamila,

Greetings from RASTA !!

Thank you for your mail and request for Azolla seeds. The seeds are available with us. If you like to have some seeds we can send it by courier, if you need a person from us to visit there, we can send one person to explain the cutlivation and can demonstarte there  ! if you would like to arrange a training please do so and inform us. The cost regarding our visit should be met from your side. I think it is simple technolgy and the vedos and related documents are slef explanatory. we are happy to provide other support in this regard.

Thanks and regards

Vishnu
RASTA

Rupak
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 19:57:35 pm »

Dear Dr. Patterson,
I fully agree with vishnu regarding the comment that the azolla video is self explanatory. Still I have something to add on, which is more experiential than being solely laden with technicality. The adaptation in our part here in West Bengal have been -
1. We calculated the amount of inputs according to the availability of tank size.
2. We involved the village women to take charge of the whole thing. Now few male farmers are practising the same.
3. We had collected the azolla frond from a renowned KVK and later found the same from nearby fodder farm of GOI.
4. We asked the farmers not to use any pesticide (a leaflet provided by the institute from where it was collected prescribed so)  even if there is any pest attack (fungal/caterpillar).
5. The women themselves suggested to make a boundary around the tank (with abandoned mosquito net/spiny tree branches) to protect it from ducks/hens.
6. Villagers added some rice/wheat bran with the collected azolla to make it palatable for the cattle.
7. Villagers have shared the azolla among neighbours.
8. We made a list of the activities for azolla cultivation and put on a stick near the tank.
9. We requested the villagers to feed azolla along with cereals at a ratio of 1:3 and not more than that.

Anyway, if you have any specific query that may help you, please feel free to ask.

Regards.

Rupak,
On behalf of CI team, West Bengal.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 19:59:39 pm by Rupak » Logged
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 05:43:46 am »

Dear Rupak,

Thanks providing details on how you adopted this technology there. Could you please let me know how much is your yield /SqM/day ? We are interested to know. Is there any change in growth of azolla in summer months  ?

regards

vishnu
rasta
Ruud
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:07:04 pm »

Dear Vishnu and Rupak,

Thanks for your quick advice for Dr Jamila Patterson on the Azolla Cultivation
I have just indicated to her that there is already a topic on her request posted on the Forum,

So I assume that she will visit the Forum soon and will communicate with you if necessary.

Best regards

Ruud
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:58:49 am »

Dear Jamila,

sorry for the delay. azolla seeds( live plants) are being couriered today itself. please put the plants to the azolla bed or to some pots having water, immediatly when you recive it. the plants would have damaged to some extent. doesnt matter, it will pick up soon, please let me know the status of the plants after reaching your place.

with regards

vishnu
RASTA
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:04:14 am »

Dear Mr.vishnu
RASTA

Today Iazola seeds reached safely. Thank you very much for sending the seedlingss.

Based on RASTA video clipping I am going to culture azola. How many days I have to culture azola to get the seedlings are very much essential to continue the culture. Please give your suggestions to get the seedlings from my culture. 

Warm regards
Jamila Patterson
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:06:05 am »

Dear Jamila,

Thanks for your mail and happy to know that the Azola reached there safely. since temp. is around 30degree, right now you can make shadenet ( 50%) over the tank at 1 m height. please also reduce the acidity of the water if it is high, to have good growth. Please check for the growth of azolla regularly.  if  any colour change observe after 5 days please let us know. If you can send us digitalphoto of the tank with azolla in it i can give some sugestions. our phone number is 04936-286725

with regards

Vishnu
RASTA
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:02 am »

Dear Mr.Vishnu

RASTA

Greetings from Tamil Nadu. I am sending 5 days cultured azola photos as attached mail. After seeing the photos please tell your suggestions. Today I got the scientic name of azola (Anabaena azollae) from our library. Hope your works are moving well. Apart from Vermi compost and azola culture what else you are doing for alternate livelihood. Apart from vermi compost I am doing crab and lobster fattening, development of value added products from seafood and sun drying of fishes by keeping on fish drying racks. Now I am trying for projects for solar drying of fishes. I am looking forward to hear about your alternate livelihood programmes.

Warm regards
Jamila Patterson
Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:10:54 am »

Dear  Jamila

Greetings from RASTA!

At the moment Shri Vishnu is not in office, I am responding to your mail

The five days culture is good, better green ones is the growth that is occurring, I would still bet on having a shade net, for lowering the temperature, besides reduce the direct solar insolation, which actually retards the growth . It would reduce the harshness of the infar red, which would lower the growth, as azolla have an optimum growth up till 32 degrees C.

A good culture would have the greenish colour all through out , if reddish colour is been seen at later stages, two points, first to much of harsh sunlight. Second lack of Phosphorus , over come them

Keep the depth of water level at 5  to 7 cms,  stir up after the first harvest, after 30 days some amount of cowdung slurry

try to innovate, adding tank silt would be an good idea of keeping it low cost besides you will get all the nutrients.

After 10- 15 days, you can harvest the first batch, if the growth is profuse good, if not add a the tea made from chicken dung, the dung made by steeping in water for to a week or more, until you the ammonia smell is lowered, stirred daily so that ammonia is vaporized, the remain solution is rich in natural phosphates, which is a valuable growth material for azolla,

Actually your tank silt would contain equal good proportion of phosophate,

Try these suggestion, would be better if you could keep a record of the happening with you experiments, the learning can be upscaled before being spread to the rural areas

danesh

for RASTA

Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 07:13:22 am »

Dear Mr.Danesh,

Thank you very much for your mail. As you suggested I put a sun light cover for azola cultue site. I am sending one photo of that as attached mail.

Warm regards

Jamila Patterson

Vishnu
Telesupport Partner

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 07:17:07 am »

Dear Jamila

It is good to have "shade net" over the tank. Kindly check the growth for next three four days? Is it at 1m height from the ground level? if you observe slow growth please increase the height of the cover by .5 m more

regards

vishnu
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: